Apple blocks cookies with new Safari 11, Advertisers Scramble
Apple’s new Safari 11 has caused an uproar in the digital advertising realm by deleting 3rd-party cookies that enable advertisers to target and serve programmatic advertisements. El Toro is unaffected because we are a 100% cookie-free advertising technology.
Haven’t heard the news?
Here are the cliff notes:
- In September 2017, Apple released iPhones 8 and X and updated the privacy features for Safari 11 with the all-new “Intelligent Tracking Prevention” feature.
- ITP limits cookie-based tracking by advertisers to 24 hours by deleting 3rd party cookies and disabling cross-device targeting.
- The IAB, AAF, ANA and a few others submitted a letter damning the update, saying it reduced the relevance of advertising and may affect the “infrastructure of the modern internet”.
- Want more details? Here’s an ADWEEK article about it that contains the full letter at the bottom.
Here are the differences:
- Tracks web history to assign a segmentation or feature
- When a user goes to a website, ads get paired to their cookie profiles, and are served based on that profile
- The advertiser has no idea who targets actually are. Only that they serve ads to devices that have desired cookies and browsing history. We call this a headless sales funnel.
El Toro IP Targeting:
- Create a target segment with a mailing list of pre-screened, pre-qualified targets based on CRM data, geo-located activities, or data from a list provider. This is a clear-cut sales funnel.
- Append IP address to target list homes and target IP’s validated with 95% certainty (not every home will be appended because IP addresses change, and we don’t serve to IP’s that do not meet our 95% confidence level validation).
- Target pre-screened IP’s & serve traffic at those locations when ad calls come through exchange.
- Once ad is served, tracking cookies and pixels can be used for online attribution. If targets don’t have cookies enabled, no worries, proceed to next step.
- At the end of the campaign, final sales data is used to match back to the target group.
Since the inception of El toro, we’ve pitched that cookie-free IP targeting is the advertising of the future. Now that outside factors such as Apple’s latest move are proving us right, it’s time to reconsider digital media budgets and look for a way to advertise on a cookie-free basis.
Click here now to contact El Toro so you don’t get left in the digital dust while the cookie starts its crumble.
Win The Race Before It Starts – Political Best Practices
El Toro is your non-partisan political advertising outlet. Data drives every decision in the win-or-go-home world of political advertising. With American politics as competitive as ever, how can your campaign strategy utilize data and successfully...
Everything You Want To Know About Cookies But Are Too Afraid To Ask
The digital world is transitioning towards a cookieless future, leaving professionals with burning questions about the new advertising technologies replacing third-party cookies. There’s no need to worry. El Toro can answer everything you want and...
El Toro Is Built On Integrity – Work With The Company That Disrupts Online Advertising
Sounds Like Bull At El Toro, one of our E.P.I.I.C. core values has been and will always be integrity. From the beginning, we knew third-party cookies used for advertising purposes were not accurate and provided...
Ready to Run With the Bull?Contact Us