El Toro is lucky to have grill master and smoked meat expert Maurice Williams as a part of our team. If you attended our Thunder Party to celebrate the Kentucky Derby Festival’s firework show, Thunder Over Louisville, you probably got a taste of Maurice’s cooking.
Last year Maurice competed in the Kentucky Derby Festival Burger Challenge and won with his SmoFried Cheese Stuffed Burger. The burger had a combination of feta cheese, peppers, and onions. Maurice has entered again this year with his SmoFried Cafe Burger. Please take a moment to vote for Maurice and the SmoFried Cafe Burger on the Kentucky Derby Festival Website!
The Smofried Café Burger is served on a Toasted Pretzel Bun which has been lightly brushed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Kosher Salt. The Smofried Café Burger is topped with a thick slice of Boar’s Head Creamy Provolone Cheese. The burger patty is rubbed with a combination Kona Coffee and Hershey’s Cocoa Powder. This creates a bold and charred beef flavor profile once the natural juices from the Ground Angus Chuck mix with the Kona / Cocoa Rub. Everything is rounded out with a Topping of Bourbon Pickled Red Onions… No sauce necessary!
The winner of the Burger Challenge will win the following:
- -4 tickets to a concert at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville
- -4 VIP tickets to Thunder Over Louisville
- -2 tickets to BeerFest at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville
- -$100 gift certificate to Kroger
- -Featured inside Louisville Kroger stores, including the recipe ingredients and recipe card
- -Featured samples inside Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville at the Kentucky Derby Festival BeerFest, May 3, 2017.
- -A grilling prize pack from the Kentucky Beef Council
See official rules and prizes on the KDF website.